Monday, March 5, 2018

Genre

Let's see here...I'm working alone, have limited equipment,  and need to make my short film at least five minutes. Seems easy huh? Last year, I've learned that genre is the first and most important step when developing a film. According to a post on masteringfilm.com, the genre someone chooses is the difference between having a new blockbuster film in the works or having to go back to the drawing board. "The genre of script you choose ultimately showcases what your value is within the Hollywood system. Why? Because the genre is the first, and most clear, indicator as to whether you “get it” or not" (Kirkpatrick 1). So in other words, this is the most crucial part of my project. I'm more a Sci-Fi kind of guy, but according to a poll on IMDb science fiction and action movies were surveyed to be the hardest and most expensive projects to pull off. In that case, it's gonna have to be a no to Sci-Fi and any type of action. I hope to decide on a genre within the next couple of days so I can really get to work. Maybe a psychological thriller? I need more research. 



Kirkpatrick, Scott. “Screenwriting.” Mastering Film » Writing for the Green Light – The Genre You Choose Says A Lot About You, Mastering Film, 2015, masteringfilm.com/writing-for-the-green-light-the-genre-you-choose-says-a-lot-about-you/. Accessed 14 Mar. 2017.

Brien1951. “Poll: 20 Most Expensive Movies Ever Made.” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/poll/OX1iaj_x-q4/. Accessed 14 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment