Friday, March 2, 2018

Short Film Characteristics and Genre

Being that I have never EVER produced a short film, I've decided It was a good idea to brush up on the basics before figuring out my plot. According to cinematicpoems.com  short films at their most basic premise must be:


  • 5-minutes or less in duration;
  • Original Footage Shot with High Definition (HD) technology;
  • Scored with an original, classical or orchestrated musical piece;
  • Original Recording/Interview  or Professional Narration from an original and/or written work of prose or poetry.
I plan on hitting the deadline of 5 minutes, but that's easier said than done. Even with proper storyboarding, writing, and screening, sometimes things just don't mesh well together and need to be cut. A good way to overcome this from what I've learned is OVER-SHOOTING. This secures that I will be able to pick and chose the best and most cohesive scenes to put in my final cut. However this process of over-shooting takes more time in both pre-production and production. It takes more time in pre because I actually have the write the extra scenes and takes more time in production because I have to actually shoot the extra scenes. Last year I made the mistake of acting as well as directing my film. This year this will change. I plan on contacting a group of peers who will act in my short film for me. Not only will I have more control of production, but I will gain more experience in directing which is something I would enjoy doing in the future. 




“Evolution Of The New Short Film Genre.” Cinematic Poems, 7 Dec. 2016, cinematicpoems.com/about/.

No comments:

Post a Comment